Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Programme supported still? 
AWM_Mars

I see by the many old posts on the forums, it appears to have gone the same way as many other programmes that reach a certain stage, yet remain unfinished, despite what must be years of dedication poured into them.

I have been using 3D modelling programmes for some 10 years, as an artist, so I do not code. Having created my models/scenes, I then import them into scene managers for the application of user interaction, physics, effects such as particles etc. However, many are either heavily bugged, unfinished or no longer supported. Awakening caught my eye as a potential scene manager, but it seems to have gone a similar way to the rest of the crowd.

Even down to the forum registration. I registered some months ago, never got an activation email, when I tired registering recently, it tells me the username has gone and the account is inactive. Then, I register with a new name, and it leads me into cul de sacs like 'website must be empty' (why is the entry box there in the first place?), followed by 'you have entered the incorrect authentication code' in the change profile page, where no authentication code/entry box, exists! These type of things are annoying and unprofessional, yet easily fixed by admin.

I have some questions, so I searched the forums, without result.

1) I can load models, but none of the importers seem to import the materials and or textures.
2) When I create a terrain, I cannot find out how to UV map the materials/textures onto the mesh. Subsequently, I end up with 1:1 mapping over huge terrain sets.
3) How do I untether the camera in 3D view, i.e. why must it be tethered to the center of the selected model, so all I can do is spin around? In other programmes I can freely roam around the whole scene.
4) When I scene build, I rarely use all viewports. How do I create my own viewport layouts?

This programme has some real potential, assuming its still supported and evolving.

Vincent

About the forum registration, you have not got activation email, maybe phpbb sent email failed for some address. And "website must be empty" is for anti-spam, indeed, it's not a good solution, need be improved.

Quote:
1) I can load models, but none of the importers seem to import the materials and or textures.

Yes, most importers only load mesh data, but 3ds importer can load textures. See tutorial.

Quote:
2) When I create a terrain, I cannot find out how to UV map the materials/textures onto the mesh. Subsequently, I end up with 1:1 mapping over huge terrain sets.

Default uv mapping is 1:1 for terrain, but you can write material shader for complex texture mapping

Quote:
3) How do I untether the camera in 3D view, i.e. why must it be tethered to the center of the selected model, so all I can do is spin around? In other programmes I can freely roam around the whole scene.

You need first select a action (move/zoom/rotate) for camera in toolbar. Or you can try arrow keys, middle mouse button, alt, shift, etc. There is a tutorial for camera movement in Awakening's help document.

Quote:
4) When I scene build, I rarely use all viewports. How do I create my own viewport layouts?

Currently, only two viewport layouts (4 window / 1 window), and pressing "W" to switch between them. No supports custom viewport layouts yet.

Quote:
This programme has some real potential, assuming its still supported and evolving.

Thanks. The Awakening II preview edition will release soon, you can see some new features in the "Showcase" section of forum.

AWM_Mars

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the detailed responces.

I'm glad to see this programme is still supported and evolving. It is so annoying learning to use yet another programme, only to have it melt away, effectively wasting loads of time. I shall watch this one, adding it to my daily system Smile

I looked at the member list, saw pages of members with website links in their profiles.

AWM_Mars

Hmm, I cannot add my signature.. on every forums I always have the signature 'Politeness is priceless when received, cost nothing to own or give, yet some cannot afford'. Neatly followed by our websites www.yoursinside.com and www.wba-advertising.com (machinima website), still says I don't have the right code lol.